Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Geek Seeing a Better You in Himself and in Others.


I’m going to talk about a couple things.  First thing I want to talk about is the image or persona of myself.  Sometimes I wonder what people outside of myself think of me.  Who cares right? Or Why should I care? Or Why does that even matter?  Well it doesn’t.  I’m just curious.  I’m curious because unfortunately people judge one another.  I’m not saying every single person does, but sadly my perception of people is fairly pessimistic. I’m not going to lie to you guys and say that I’ve never judge someone before so get that clear. 

I have been working on seeing the good in people for awhile and most of my inspiration comes from Smallville’s version of Clark Kent and David Choi's song called Better You.  Listen to the lyrics of the song and see why!  Now I say “Smallville’s version” of Clark Kent because to my knowledge I believe that in the comic world, they don’t really go into Clark Kent’s life growing up in Smallville and hence why the show was created.  Did you see what I just did there?  I made a Smallville reference.  Nerdy? Geeky? Dorky? Which one?  This brings me to my next point. 

If there is one trait about myself that I can not deny is that I’m a geek.  I’m not a nerd, but sometimes I could be a dork.  What’s the difference you wonder? Well I’m going to provide you with the difference, but do not quote me for I’m going to describe them as simply as I can and it could be wrong.  A nerd is someone who focuses their energy and time studying things that would lead them to high academic success such as studying school relating things and seeking more knowledge.  A geek is similar to a nerd, but the main difference is that they focus their studies towards knowledge on different things such as technology, sports, video games, anime, movies, etc. instead of academics. Also obsessive traits may be involved if they are really into said things.  A dork is a whale’s dick.  No, I’m kidding.  A dork is someone who is sometimes awkwardly social.  They act goofy or silly in situations of nervousness and have odd body language around others.   

I bring this up because there seems to be a negative thing about being a nerd, geek, or dork. Why? I don't exactly know. You just get the feeling when you mention a joke or reference relating to something geeky such as Star Wars, Naruto, or whatever to someone in conversation and you get this weird vibe or a sense that they're thinking lowly of you.  Maybe that's just me or maybe it's the way the media has portrayed geeks and nerds to be in movies or television shows.  Because of this, sometimes I feel I have to hide my geekiness when I'm around other people who are not as much as a geek I am.  Sometimes I just want to make a geeky reference but I end up holding myself back!  I shouldn't.  I should be myself as cliche as that might sound, but it's kind of difficult when you around people who aren't as alike as you.  In the end, I shouldn't care.  So!  Are you a nerd? A geek? A dork? or a combination of two or all? Let me know in the comments below or check out my video and like, subscribe and comment on the video.

David Choi's music video of Better You:


Video blog of this blog:


No comments:

Post a Comment