Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Chronicle of Unbreakable H E R O E S

Taking the superhero genre closer to home. If I were to describe Chronicle, that's what I would say. Being a fan of science fiction that involves superhuman abilities, there would be no doubt I would enjoy this film. Do not worry, I am not going to spoil anything. I am simply going to try and articulate how the film made me feel.

The directing direction that this movie uses won me over because the movie is about 3 high school kids who gain superhuman abilites by discovering something extraordinary and its way of telling the story through its innovative cinematography through a character's actual video camera. This movie could relate to a wide variety of audiences because it explores an aspect of discovering powers in a way that we can relate to and that is; "What if you discovered you had superhuman abilites?". It takes us closer by adding, "What if you were a teenager in high school discovering you had superhuman abilities?". This film is an example of answering those questions.  To convey those questions,  it is filmed through one of the character's video camera making it feel more like you are there. That choice of cinematography hit the spot. For those who have watched it already, what would you do if you discovered powers? For those who haven't, I recommend seeing it.

Since I'm on the subject of the superhero genre, there's another film I would recommend watching and it's called Unbreakable starring Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson. This was one of M. Night Shyamalan's good films that came after The Sixth Sense. It is about discovering superhuman abilities as well, but in a different point of view. I like to say that it could be an origin story you could put in the realm of H E R O E S.

Now if you haven't heard of H E R O E S, then let me fill you in.  H E R O E S was a superhero genre television show. There are a lot of mixed reviews when it comes to deciding whether or not it was good or bad. I would like to say it was good to some extent. I could understand why others may not have liked it after the first season, but I stayed loyal to the show and watched it until the end. While I'm on the subject of H E R O E S, I'm going to have to say that it borrowed similar story telling ideas from L O S T. If you watch both of them you can see similarities between characters and story telling.

Chronicle, Unbreakable, and H E R O E S. I recommend watching them if you have the time to do so and especially if you like to suspend your disbeliefs and believe super powers can exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment