Sunday, February 12, 2012

I'm going to teach you how to live.

"Rod, I'm going to teach you how to live", using Barney Stinson's words.  I continued saying, "At least through high school."

High school may be the best time of your adolescent life or your worst.  High school is deadly.  Caught up in the wrong group of people and it may affect the rest of your life.  Maybe I'm just being dramatic just for the sake of being... dramatic.  I always say that if I went back to high school with the knowledge of what I know now, my high school experience would have been even greater.  My high school life wasn't bad.  I had a great time in high school, but there are a few regrets I have that I wish I could have taken advantage of.  For example, being more open and talk to everyone, join more clubs, be more social and not limit myself to like 2-3 groups of friends... or what you could call, "cliques".   

In this day and age of social media, it seems like it would be a lot easier to express yourself in a way to share your thoughts and ideas with schoolmates and avoid being a social outcast.  To use social media to your advantage.  Don't be mistaken, social media can also be grave.  For example, like that 15 year old high school girl who ranted on Facebook about how she felt about the chores her parents assigned to her and how her father found out and posted a video on Youtube to teach her a lesson. I mean as we all know, we just have to do the chores our parents give us because that is our duty and the least we can do for them since they let us live under their roof.  Anyways, this was beside my point, back to what I was originally talking about.

I said, "Think of a hobby that sparks your creative ideas and flourish it.  Whether it's photography, cinematography, writing, drawing, whatever it may be and express it and share it with everyone.  Join a sport, join a club.  Do some sort of extra curriculum that allows you to be with people and make friends and bonds along side your creative hobby and express and share it with them, but remember to be yourself and never feel you have to hide who you are. You'll be golden."  Of course, I may not be the one to talk of such great knowledge because I certainly did not do that in high school, but that's definitely what I would do if I could go back.  Unfortunately I can't, but the least I could do is guide my younger brother as best as I can.

Do you think it's wrong of me to hand down an ideal that I wish I could of done back in high school to my younger brother? Or do you think it's a good thing that I'm giving him some sort of older brotherly advice?  Let me know in the comment box below.

1 comment:

  1. 20's may or may not be the best times of your adult life...so go out there and explore! Travel and live someplace foreign to you, take up a new sport or hobby and go to town on it, do ANYTHING it takes to be happy. We dont know if we may live to 80 or live till tomorrow, but dont put off what you can do now to a couple of years later. The thing about regret is that you will always have it, its the matter of changing your mentality and finding new beginnings.

    ReplyDelete